lifesaver


Anyone can be a lifesaver.

I went to a heavily populated area the other day, I was in the mood to people watch and just think. I sat there and watched as all these people passed by and carried on with their lives. As I sat there I started to really question how many of them were happy and how many of them were so use to the facade that they've forgotten what happiness really feels like. I wondered how many of them were drowning in emotions, pain, life.
As I sat there, a teenage girl sat down next to me. She didn't say anything at first, and I was so lost in thought that I didn't even realize the opportunity before me. She saw that I had a sketch book with me and asked if I was an artist. I automatically liked her for even thinking such a nice thought. We talked for a bit just about the day and why we were both on that bench at that moment. After some chit-chat I decided to give her the question that I had been pondering. Her answer was so different than what I had been thinking, she said "life is hard and if we are carrying on with your metaphor, we all need to learn how to swim."
That made me really think, I mean she was talking about self preservation, self reliance. The whole time I was thinking that there are so many opportunities to get knocked around by the waves of life, but we aren't alone. Our friends and our family are our life vests, God our life support. We just have to recognize when we need them, when we need to cling to them. So many of us take life on all alone, I think that it is important to know that we don't have to.

9 comments:

antoinette marie said...

vintage looking....cooool! blessings...

aaronatbella said...

You areso right about needing someone. To many people are 'drowning' because they think they must do it themselves.
If only they knew that God was real and waiting for them.

lizcooper said...

What do you do when you've needed the life vests for a really long time? Even life vests wear out after a while. And I can swim but for how long?

I totally agree that we don't have to do it alone. I know that God never wears out. He never gets weary. But our life vests do and I'm just wondering when...

lizcooper said...

Thank you so much for your comments! My husband and I have had four years or so of drowning and resurfacing and, while we have great life vests (and most certainly more than one or even three), I just wonder a) how much longer we'll be bothered to keep resurfacing, b) how much longer our friends and family will keep helping us resurface, and c) if I want to keep coming up for air anyway.

Gerri said...

Well said Bri. Sometimes for the sake of looking responsible and strong, we avoid vulnerability. That is so unwise. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Crystal Rae said...

I love how you said "friends and our family are our life bests, God our life support" so true. Really was an inspiring post Bri. And you ARE an artist.
Great picture too!

Majimo said...

The fact that you had this opportunity to bless this teenage girl's life with your conversation and presence and in return you were blessed as well, shows us how God designed us to be helpers and rescuers for one another not just friends and family but for the anyone willing to hold out their hands to be rescued.

Majimo

Vanessa said...

Thank you for always taking the time to just sit and think...I need to do this more often! LOVE YOUR WORK!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

wow, what a nice moment to share with a stranger! It's amazing sometimes where our inspiration comes from, isn't it?