India: Two






"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." -Helen Keller
Each one of these pics has their own story, the first is of a lil girl who's parents had died from aids, she was left to take care of her little brother, she spends her days begging instead of in school.
The second is of a family who has no home, the cot that they are sitting on is their only belonging. They move it each day to a neighbor who is willing to share cover.
The third pic is a fun example of one of one their beliefs. When they think their child is extremely beautiful and that a lot of people will be looking at them, they draw these black dots on their faces to steal away any wrongful thoughts. They are a form of protection. A lot of the babies have them, which makes sense, what parent doesn't think their child is the cutest baby they've ever seen.
The fourth is of this adorable little boy that chased me around with his food. If you look at his hand you can see the rice that he was eating. He thought it was funny because I didn't want to try it, and because I didn't want to try it he was even more driven to share it with me.
The fifth is of this beautiful grandmother. She was taking care of her 3 grandkids after their parents passed away. I desperately wanted to get her a pair of glasses that had both lenses. I offered to have them brought to her but she said she didn't need them...she just likes wearing the frames. I thought that was funny because when I was younger, I always wore glasses with no prescription because I loved the frames.

Lots more to come!

15 comments:

Kelly said...

WOW! This look like an extremely memorable, touching experience. I'm sure it really brings your life and perspective on things here in the US to light and how blessed and fortunate we really are. All of these captures are so moving! I went back and looked at the detail of them over and over again...like the boys' "clothes" in the first picture, the expression on the faces of the boys in the second one, the girls eyes in the thrid one really tells a story...they are all amazing! I can't wait to see and learn more about your trip. Thanks for sharing!

Crystal Rae said...

I love hearing the stories that go behind each picture. These are awesome.

**I took that picture in the field by our apartment. :)

Fresh Mommy said...

Wow, this is truly amazing... and I love the stories behind each photo. It really makes my heart grow bigger for these people. I'm loving that first shot too!

Hair Bows & Guitar Picks said...

Those pictures give me goosebumps...wow!

Tabitha@ichoosebliss said...

Hi There! Thank you for visiting me to celebrate my SITS Day! U are deeply appreciated!

Caroline said...

Wow...powerful photos. Makes me realize how lucky I am... Thank you for sharing!

Summer said...

Those are amazing. You captured their spirits in a way that sometimes words can't even do.

I am in love with your work woman!

d a v i d m o l n a r P H O T O G R A P H Y said...

These photos are phenomenal!!!! hey have you read the new Donald Miller book yet? i think you would like it.

Huong said...

These photos and the stories that accompany them are amazing. So glad you got to experience this all...I've always wanted to go work with an orphanage...I bet it's so humbling and enriching to the soul. And I bet these kids LOVED having you and your camera around :)

aforestfrolic said...

What an experience...to go to India and hear their stories! I really love the colors and the kiddos are all so adorable. It the 'black dot' tradition was ours...I'd totally have them all over my girls faces, tee hee. And that little boy chasing you with rice..hilarious! So sad though, that is seems so many of the young childrens parents have died...oh I just couldn't imagine. Such a different world we live in. I'd love to visit places and see how other people live someday. Thanks for sharing.

Jamie :0

antoinette marie said...

these are so touching! the little girl with the spots and yellow 'love' dress is soooo gorgeous, and each and every person really shows a level of depth that takes your breathe away! you captured them beautifully! blessings...

Muthering Heights said...

Your photos are extraordinary!

Jenny in Utah said...

I'm going to go paint some dots on my kids right now ... ;)

These are just amazing, so beautiful, so vibrant. Thank you for sharing the background, it brings a huge sense of gratitude to me.

Ken said...

What a beautiful portrayal of India. The colors, the expressions. What a talent you have!

Gerri said...

Bri, how wonderful to see photos and know a little something about the people in them. You have such a loving heart and you are the perfect person to capture the heart of others. :)