It all depends on who is saying it....

"i'm just a sinner, saved by grace"
I've heard this saying mentioned a couple times in the last few days. I was very familiar with it while in Virginia because it was a hymn that we would sing at church every once in a while. In any case, both times this saying was mentioned they were using it as a negative thing. Saying that instead of recognizing the sin we came from we should recognize the righteousness we were born-again into.
My question is: why can't we recognize what filth the Lord has rescued us from, I don't believe our testimonies are meant to be sugar coated-the Lord persued each one of us in the midst of our sin, He sacrificed knowing that we were going to turn around and hurt Him over and over again...it is because of His Grace that we can stand forgiven and cleansed of all our unrighteousness. His grace lead to His sacrifice, His love for us was while we were yet sinners.
I don't think that the above statement is threatening our righteousness or even our confession. I think that if anything it can remind us of how deep our God's love really is.
I know that some people can hide behind the words, or that it can become a crutch to some but that doesn't mean that the root of it is wrong. We are making it out that whenever anyone uses this saying, no matter the person, no matter the heart that they are missing out on the truth/freedom of their relationship with God. I can't say that I agree, it is one thing if a person is allowing their past sins to determine their future but it is something completely different to recognize the Grace of God. I just don't think that a saying like the above can be bad, I just think that it is the heart of whoever is saying it that needs to be in check and ultimately are we called to judge the heart? Just some thoughts...
This is the hymn that the above saying comes from...to me this comes from the perspective of someone sharing their journey with someone that may not know God, it is a person getting to such a vulnerable state that they are recognizing that they didn't deserve the love showered upon them but they know it will forever be with them and for that they are nothing but thankful.

"If you could see what I once was
If you could go with me
Back to where I started from
Then I know you would see
A miracle of love that took me in its sweet embrace
And made me what I am today
Just an old sinner saved by grace.

I'm just a sinner saved by grace
When I stood condemned to death
He took my place
Now I live and breathe in freedom with each breath of life I take
Loved and forgiven
Back with the living
I'm just a sinner saved by grace

How could I boast of anything I've ever seen or done?
How could I dare to claim as mine the vict'ries God has won?
Where would I be had God not brought me gently to this place?
I'm here to say I'm nothing but a sinner saved by grace

I'm just a sinner saved by grace
When I stood condemned to death
He took my place
Now I live and breathe in freedom with each breath of life I take
Loved and forgiven
Back with the living
I'm just a sinner saved by grace"


We are all but sinners saved by grace, born in to the righteousness of God and standing on the promise that we will never fall from His hand. No matter what mistakes we made before our days with Him, or even those we make after...His grace, His sacrifice, His love is more than enough. May the Lord use my past, present, and future trials to bring Him glory.

No comments: